Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Exhaustion Progression

[1:30pm]
There are several ways I could have gone about this.
If I had wanted to be able to see the progression from Maya's preview window, I would have created all the progression images and the time slider would determine which image texture is shown. 
However, to avoid creating all those images, the progression can only be seen when rendered - the image is created just before being rendered. 
Here's a quick demo, increasing the radius by 100 each jump.
[EDIT 5:25pm]
My goodness, it's always the littlest things that cause the biggest problems.
I finally got the refresh image file working from my tester python script (since it's changing the file at each time step). However, transferring this over to my amalgamated script- still in python - it suddenly does not recognize the code. I tried a hack of reassigning the image file to the same image, hoping that would refresh it-- it did not. Finally got something working where it calls my tester script from the body script. (only works sometimes though... only worked that once....)

[EDIT 7:15pm]
Interesting discovery, the eval command runs fine on a file created manually, but not on a file created from the script, so where's the difference?

[EDIT 7:35pm]
So, it's because I was not connecting the 'place2d texture' node when creating the file node. Worked fine for display, but apparently needed for refreshing the file. So that's working, new typeError problem now. One of those fun ones where python doesn't know that your string is a string even with str() -resolved

[EDIT 8:25pm]
Issues again. The refresh works on the script generated file, but only if I've refreshed a manually made file first. ???? 20min later that's literally the only difference between when the refresh works and when it doesn't.

[EDIT 12:00am]
I have no idea what the issue is. No errors, it calls the functions fine, proper radii and locations and everything, edits the image, but the image doesn't actually change. I hate it. 


[EDIT 21Dec 10:00pm]
The refreshing issue is frustrating me to no end and I know I could spend days trying to debug it. But as this is due in a mere 2 hours, I'm going back to the memory intensive method based on something I've used before and so am fairly confident that it will produce sufficient results. 



Today's Show: 3rd Rock from the Sun (Season 2.1-23)

1 comment:

  1. Its nice it works, obviously needs some major tweaking to look good

    ReplyDelete